Thursday, December 2, 2010

Shoulder Pads & Platform Shoes Experiment with the Sexes


   The other day I went to a store, picked out some clothes and went to the dressing room. I had tried on this dress and to my surprise my shoulders looked a bit bulky. At first, I thought it was me but then I realized there was foam padding on top of my shoulders. I’d prefer not to look manly in a dress and I don’t think I’ll be lifting anyone up on my shoulders (in a dress) that I would need some padding for. 

   So, designers are trying their luck again with these shoulder pads. Back in the late 1980s, when shoulder pads were really taking off (or should have been taken off), ladies would have Velcro sown into the shoulders of their jackets and tops so they could actually add more padding. By the early 1990s, some shoulder pads were actually the size of dinner plates. Personally, I wouldn’t want to get my nice blazer roughed up in a football game, where shoulder pads actually serve a logical purpose. 




    I happen to have a few pairs of platform shoes in my closet today and sadly it wouldn’t surprise me if I knew my dad had some in his closet back then. I understand that platform shoes are much more comfortable to wear than say stilettos and I guess I should be thankful for that… I really don’t feel like picturing men wearing stiletto heels if they were in style back then. 

   If lived back in that time, I just know I would be completely turned away by men wearing shoes higher than mine. Sure, if you’re a self-conscious male worried about your height, don’t go sulk and put on some platform shoes. I would embrace your height and people will love you for who you are, and the ladies won’t care if don’t know how to walk in pumps properly, trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment